Friday, September 13, 2013

Hand-tooled leather covered book

This past weekend I made a hand-tooled leather covered book in a workshop with Bonnie Stahlecker, bookbinder extraordinaire.  Ten of us plus Bonnie gathered in Louisville for this fabulous workshop.  Bonnie is an excellent instructor, and all the resulting books were stellar.



Above are the front and back covers (respectively) of my little book.


I painted paste paper to use for my end sheets inside.

The closure was wonderful...we wove a thin strip of leather in and out of itself and connected it via a jump ring to a tiny brass brad in the other leather clad wooden cover.

All the participants had excellent results.  The books are only about 3 x 5" but are packed with 12 signatures and bound with a modified coptic stitch so they will lay flat when opened.

If you ever get the opportunity to take a workshop from Bonnie, I am sure that you will enjoy it and you will learn a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment