Friday, July 29, 2011

Doing My Best to Keep Post Offices Open


With the news of many small post offices closing, I wonder if most mailings come from:
1. Advertisers
2. Utility and Credit Card Companies
3. Doctors, Labs and various insurance invoices
4. Politicians or
5. Calligraphers

I vow to do my best to add more pretty mail to the mix. I don't get enough of number 5s. I hate the political ones, accept 2s and 3s as necessities, get too many 1s and 4s. My most hated are the 4s. (I believe I've said that before!) I confess that I do most of my bill-paying via automatic payments, so have taken that much monthly revenue away from the postal service. I'll try to augment that by sending a few more pleasant notes and cards to friends and family.

The mailbox photo above is one I took near Turkey Run State Park in central Indiana when my friend Donna Hacker and I took a watercolor workshop there from Joe Fettingis. It was great fun, the scenery was great, and this was at our favorite restaurant there (a bar with fabulous fish.)

Here's a photo of Donna at that restaurant - with a friendly companion. (She's not this red - there was a reflection from the lighting.)

Here's a photo of the very talented Joe Fettingis hard at work.

Here is my attempt to paint the little Indian boy from one of Joe's resource photos.

And here is my poor rendition of the ibis (?) - unfinished. There were so many talented people in that classroom doing fabulous work that I'd much rather show you theirs!

Here's someone's old homestead off the beaten track.

Here's a beautifully tended and picturesque red barn.

And since I began with the post office and a nice mailbox, I'll end with one...send more (pretty) mail!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment